Ghana postpones evacuation of 800 citizens from South Africa

Lees ook :

Ghana national flag with a coastal community in the background
Ghana has postponed the evacuation of more than 800 citizens from South Africa.

Ghana has postponed the evacuation of more than 800 of its citizens from South Africa, citing the need for additional logistical and diplomatic arrangements before the airlift can proceed.

The decision follows weeks of rising concern over xenophobic incidents and an earlier announcement that 300 Ghanaians would be flown home from OR Tambo International Airport on 21 May 2026.

Why the evacuation was postponed

In an official notice issued on Wednesday, 20 May 2026, titled “Evacuation from South Africa”, Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration confirmed that the number of citizens registered for evacuation had grown beyond initial estimates. The ministry said Ghanaian and South African authorities had “agreed to enhanced and more efficient pre-evacuation modalities to expedite the process”.

Ghana’s Foreign Minister, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, said earlier in May that President John Mahama had granted presidential approval for the immediate evacuation of citizens who had registered with Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria.

Support package for returning citizens

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said all evacuated Ghanaians would be entitled to a “Welcome Home Financial Package”, along with transport assistance, psychological support, reintegration aid and access to job and start-up opportunities on arrival.

South Africa’s response

The Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) has said law enforcement agencies were instructed to protect foreign nationals, and warned the public against sharing misinformation and unverified videos circulating on social media. Earlier in May, Ghana also formally petitioned the African Union to place xenophobia in South Africa on the agenda of the AU Mid-Year Coordination Meeting scheduled for 24 to 27 June 2026.

Source: Statement issued by the Ghana Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration on 20 May 2026, and public statements by Ghana’s Minister for Foreign Affairs Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa. South African government response via DIRCO.

Subscribe to The Daily Pod